Thursday, April 8, 2010

Little Orphan Houses


I have an urge to save homes. Period.  Maybe it is because I don't have a childhood home.  Perhaps I am longing to have a place of my family memories.  We moved all the time as children and even my parents last home was where none of us lived.  They bought it after we were all grown and gone from "home".  See what I mean? 

I started collecting these discarded needlepoint houses lovingly worked by hands at home.  I have many more that I need to finish.  I had them applied to scraps of fabrics I found in my travels.  Even the trims have meaning.  Most of them were found in Paris.  You know that little one crammed to the rafts with treasures in the very back corner in Clignancourt named Irma some came from her. 

Anyway,  the most special pillow of all is the little one in the front.  See the plaid fabric?  That was my Dad's favorite sportcoat. I just could not give that coat away after he was gone.  He wore it at my sister's rehearsal dinner, he wore it all the time.  This was a guy his children thought kept the old Abercrombie & Fitch and later Orvis in business.  He was the original preppy.  I could eke out just enough of the plaid to make this little memory.  It makes me smile every time I see it.

 What brings back memories to you?

 Warmly,

Bird

1 comment:

  1. I adore stories like this!!! And I love your charming pillows!!!
    Sights, sounds and smells can take me back to a particular memory like I was right there!!!

    ReplyDelete